Monday, May 9, 2011

Them Cows Ain't Gonna Milk Themselves

Last Saturday I volunteered to work on the church welfare farm.  I had my overalls and straw hat on and was up by 4:15 a.m. ready to gather eggs, milk the cows and feed the pigs.  When I got to the farm they handed me a hoe and sent me off to clear out weeds along the irrigation canal.  It was a minor letdown but still a good experience overall.

When I got home I took one of the greatest naps ever.  Seriously, Saturday's nap was the Morgan Freeman of naps, silky smooth and refreshing.  Then I woke up and took a shower.

Like all good men I do my best thinking in the shower.  While my thoughts often drift to the idea that I feel like I am living far beneath my potential in my cubicle, I'm not going to spew those ideas all over this blog right now.  Another thought I had is that I don't understand why some people call me blond.

Now I know that no one is going to mistake me for a latino any time soon, but when I hear the word blond I expect to see more white/yellow like . . . (pause as I try to think of someone famous whose hair really is blond and not just bleached) . . . Reese Witherspoon? Maybe?  Eh, . . . anyway, it's no big deal, just a perception thing.  I actually had someone ask me a couple of weeks ago if I'm the only red head in my family . . . made me think blond isn't as much of a stretch anymore. 

5 comments:

Myke said...

Dude, I was at the farm on Saturday too. Shame I didn't see you there. Maybe next time?

Jeff said...

Ya, I think some people are confused about what blond is. My wife considers herself a blond. Her hair is clearly brown. I guess it was a lot lighter when she was younger, she was blond then and therefore considers herself blond now.

The Matlocks said...

Maybe they aren't referring to your hair, but in fact calling you ditzy...just a thought :)

Corrine Loftus said...

Men don't see color as well as women do. If i say pink you see pink, not light pink, hot pink, there are cool shades of pink which are blue based in nature and warms shades which are red based in nature. Now the same goes for hair. Hair color is based on levels 1-10. shade 1 is black and 2-5 are dark brown to light brown. 6 is a dark blonde, dishwater it's often referred to and 7-10 are your blonde-very light or whiter blondes you're thinking of.So yes, you actually do have blonde hair from what I remember.

Harpski said...

You're not a red head? I'm so confused.