
I happen to love wings.
The food.
Not the 90's sitcom starring Tim Daly, Steven Weber and Crystal Bernard.
Or the band formed by Paul McCartney after the unfortunate break up of the Beatles.
Last night, my new roommates and I ate at a place called Native New Yorker. Every Tuesday night they serve wings for 35 cents apiece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had 12 wings, 3 asiago parmesan, 3 pineapple teriyaki, 3 honey hot and 3 oriental garlic. My roommate Travis then ordered 24 wings of 4 different varieties.
In the spirit of competition, my roommate Joe then ordered 27 wings, 18 of one type, 9 of a different type. Right before the waitress finished with our order, Travis ordered 6 more wings just to spite Joe.

While enjoying the food and atmosphere (multiple tv's featuring sporting events) we saw a flyer that would bring Joe fame and fortune. WING EATING CONTEST, MARCH 10!
Long story short, Joe entered, ate approximately 58 wings in 11 minutes and came out with a narrow victory. That's right, I'm rooming with the Wing Eating Champion for the city of Tempe. He'll be competing in the regional championship in October.
On an unrelated note, let's talk about sex.
Not the act, but the gender.
Apparently it's sexist to use words that used to be common. Following are a few examples of outdated sexist words, followed by their now politically correct replacement:
Chairman (chairperson)
fireman (firefighter)
mailman (postal worker)
policeman (police officer)
salesman (salesperson)
weatherman (meterologist)
workman (laborer)
mankind (humans)
Here's what I don't get, isn't huMANS just as sexist as MANkind? Shouldn't it be hupeople? (huPEOPLE) Just a thought.
4 comments:
Yes! I'm glad you've discovered the greatness that is Native New Yorker! Just wait till I get home though . . . Saturday night is karaoke night at one of the Natives in Mesa. When I first moved to AZ in '91 wings at Native were only 10 cents apiece. How awesome would that be?
I find nothing sexist about saying 'mankind'. Any idiot knows that it's referring to both men and women. So I guess that makes those who are offended by it less than idiots.
I think sex and wings are totally related.
I love wings!
Native New Yorker sounds almost exactly like Buffalo Wild Wings here. Soooo good.
q, i know this doesn't have anything to do with your post but thank you for commenting on my blog. you almost validated me as a person.
I would love to come to phoenix. rexburg is getting wierd. also i think you are right, it will be good to leave, for a while. and the fact you aren't going to sasquatch does make me feel a little better. thanks q
p.s. me and z were talking about you tonight at ramires and you are missed.
Post a Comment