Friday, February 11, 2011

Multiply and Replenish the Earth

The truth is that I am not timely on my posts.  We are nearing mid-February and I should probably be talking about great presidents that have led our proud nation, or black history, or Valentines Day or something relevant to the season. I have to backtrack all the way to Christmas day to share this experience, but this memory is too good to go undocumented. 

I was over at my sister's house watching my niece and nephew unwrap their plethora of gifts from Santa.  Watching three-year-old and five-year-old faces light up after every present is a riot in and of itself.  But the moment that made me realize that I need to start having offspring of my own was when my nephew opened up some binoculars and was asked by my mom in one of those really nice, overly-animated voices that adults only use around small children:

"What do you have there, Rhett?"

His response was non-chalant, "binoculars . . ." he paused slightly, but then came the clincher ". . . now I can watch my dad wrestle bears in the forest."

And then he was on to open the next one . . . but that comment forever changed me. 

I mean, my brother-in-law is pretty cool guy and all, BUT I doubt he's ever taken down a bobcat in hand to hand combat, much less a bear.  Yet somehow his innocent young son apparently doesn't understand that.  He just knows his dad leaves for work in the morning and comes home at night.  Since he doesn't really understand what happens while he's away, he just assumes that he's throwing down Fight Club style with some of the local wildlife. 

I've had people make assumptions about what goes on in the portion of my life that they don't see, but never anything as insanely awesome as wrestling bears.  That is why I need to have children, so someone will believe that I am as rad as only I currently believe myself to be.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

haha oh man kids are sooo cool. I think this is a really good reason to have kids. they're self esteem boosters!

Myke said...

My buddy and I had a similar conversation last night. The fact that I also ran into you last night leads me to believe it was more than a coincidence.

Jeff said...

I just stumbled on your blog, but this post made me really happy. I hope my future kids want to watch me wrestle bears in the forest.

Thome said...

what does bear grylls' kids think when he leaves...."now i can watch daddy answer phones and make copies!" maybe, maybe not.

Jenna said...

I love it!! And I love you and I love Rhett! You are so funny.