Friday, February 18, 2011

What Comes Next?

The Truth is that I'm not sure what "settling into a career" is supposed to be like.  When I was in high school my government teacher told me that the average adult switches careers seven times.  I thought that was absurd.  My parents have had the same careers pretty much their whole lives and from what I can see they're happy and they've raised a good and happy family.  (Seriously, I'm probably the least productive of all the children so far and I'm doing ok)

So here I am, Post College Career Number One.  (Teaching snowboarding lessons and selling credit report repair don't count as careers) It's been good, I help change people's lives by providing them with an education they haven't been able to pursue the same way traditional college students do right out of high school.  I have decent pay and pretty good benefits . . . and I work from a cubicle, and I can't do that forever.  Not for another decade and certainly not until I retire.  There is something about talking on a phone and staring at a computer screen that just wears on me, regardless of how good some of the conversations are.

I've seen some good personal benefits come from my current job the last couple of years.  I've paid off my car, I've built my 401K and I'm in the process of buying my first home.  I haven't advanced my education as far as I hoped because trying to go home and type a paper after sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours per day drove me nuts, but I'm going back to work on that. 

I'm putting my MBA on hold (again) because its not free, but I am going to take advantage of what I can get a tuition waiver for.  I'm going to do my A+ certification followed by my Network+ certification and then my Visual Communication Certificate.  Why the sudden techie obsession?  Because I want to make money from computers.  I want to develop websites and do affiliate marketing and web optimization.  I want to be able to do these things from home and I want to teach.  I want to leave my imprint on the minds of future leaders and help inspire them to greater things.  I want to lecture at a community college and I want to teach classes online so I can travel to Europe and Africa and Asia and Australia and South America. 

I also want to run my own businesses.  Pest and weed control, pool cleaning, landscaping, property management, to go along with my web businesses . . . I'm not sure.  I know this isn't interesting to most people, but I had to get it out there so people would hold me accountable to my own goals and dreams. 

Oh, and also I decided for my blog posts I'm no longer going to use pictures that I don't have the right to use any more.  So I've got to start taking some better pics.

Luv ya,
ttyl,
KwyNh

4 comments:

Jeff said...

I think that's great to get your dreams out there. So many people just give up on the big things they want to accomplish.

I hope you are able to do all the things that you've listed and tons more.

Myke said...

Quinn, let's quit our jobs and be unemployed for a while. And if you want, you can help me start my bakery.

courtney dalley said...

So I got to the "Pool cleaning, Pest and Weed Control" part, followed by fake mustache and then you signed your name "kwynh" and suddenly I don't know what's true anymore...is this one of those rain forest deals?

Quinn the Eskimo said...

Jeff - trying hard to not be one of those people who give up, thanks for the support

Myke - deal.

Courtney - this is very real. me living in the amazon for 2 years is also very real. check out this link http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=201316116550024
then look up manaus on wikipedia or google or something. then tell me why i am facebook friends with so many people attending this event. I SAID GOOD DAY!!! ;)