Sunday, February 22, 2009

What's in a Nam Anyway?

One thing I've learned in life is that people are perceptive to different things. Some people remember what certain people wore on certain days, some people notice when other people get haircuts, and then there is me. I happen to notice how people spell their names. For some people I guess this just isn't important.
Allow me to elaborate with a common example. I'm at some social gathering and I get a girl's phone number. Then she says something to the effect of "omg, lol, text me, ok? ttyl!"
So I send her a text message within the next day or two that says "Hey (Ashley, Brittany, Megan, Rachel), this is Quinn. What are you doing (tomorrow, wednesday, this weekend, etc.) Do you wanna to (go snowboarding, skydiving, backpacking through europe) with me?"
Then I get the response, "hey quin! totes def i wanna (watch paint dry, see you try to learn how to use a yo-yo, watch the NFL draft) with you!"
Come on, seriously?
I cannot even count how many times this has happened, but probably twice.
On other occassions, I've had people write on my Facebook wall: "yo quin! what's up?"
What's up? Oh not much, just my name, spelled correctly, listed right above your wall post. I'm sorry for making things so difficult.
I know, I know, the second "n" is silent. It shouldn't even be there.
On a side note, for anyone interested, I'm going to take a wak over to the wel on the hil later today. We may tos a bal around, and stay the night at the Holiday In.
I've known a few Quinn's in my life, and none of them spell it with one "n."
I typed "Quin" in a facebook search, and in the first 11 or 12 pages, there were only two or three people who had the name "Quin" and the rest were all "Quinn." I got bored of looking after that, but I can promise you that the three dudes named "Quin" either have parents who also happen to be brother and sister, or they are using "Quin" as an abbreviation for Quinton (Quinten) or Quincy.
I even took it a step farther and looked up the origin of my name on Google. It's Irish and was derived from O' Quinn, which came from O' Cuinn, which means "descendant of Quinn." Cuinn, by the way, is a form of Conn. What's the common denominator here? THE SILENT "N!"
Still have your doubts? Ask Bob Dylan, or Denzel Washington.
Oh, I also typed in "history of the name quin" in google. And the first thing google did was ask me, "Did you mean history of the name QUINN?"
YES!
Of course I did! Quin isn't even a real name! Oh wait, here's the history of it . . . "a variant of the name QUINN!"
That means Quin with one "n" is to names what the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is to religion. Have fun practicing polygamy and raping teenage girls Quin with one "n," but please don't impede my pursuit of becoming a more caring, loving, serving person.
I know at this point most of you are thinking, "ok, we get it calm down."
And I'm just waiting for all your clever comments on this post that start with something like "hey quin! blah blah blah blah blah." Well let me save myself some time and acknowledge your wittiness right now.
The truth is I don't really care that much, I wrote this post for your entertainment. There are a lot worse things than forgetting how to spell someone's name, like forgetting someone's name altogether. Chances are, I probably forgot your name after the first time we met . . . and the second time . . . and the third time, but I usually get it by the fourth time.

6 comments:

Vickie said...

remember when were were over at steve's house on the 4th of july and we were hanging out with his neices and the one that was learning how to spell was all "quinn how do you spell your name?" and you told her and then she was like "the last n is silent"

thats what happened right? or am i mistaken?

Myke said...

Yeah, it totally bugs when people can't spell. It's not like you have a hard name. And yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a Quinn with one "n".

Anonymous said...

I was entertained. Thank you

Leah said...

Try dealing with mispronunciation.

Taff said...

people spell my name wrong all the time too, first and last, real and nick.
I'm not trying to bash your post or anything, but a lot of people don't pay as much attention to life as they should, but I think people forgetting an n on your name is not that big or a deal.
People can see your heart and character and still pell you name wrong.

Quinn the Eskimo said...

Ha ha, I think you missed the whole last paragraph of my blog where I explained that I really don't care that much.
See my blog is more like an opinion column, and yours is more like a journal.
I'm not saying one is better than the other, just saying that I would rather vent about trivial things for fun, where you probably write things that you feel strongly about. :)

And yes, Vickie that did happen. And it was hilarious. And I just started three sentences with the word "and."