Thursday, January 1, 2009

Why you are never going to get married, EVER

I went to the yahoo homepage to check up on my college pick 'em score today and I noticed this featured article. Usually I ignore the romance/dating articles, but I thought this one, that promised to share "secrets that no one will ever tell you even under extreme torture" might be interesting. I was hoping for something juicy, like "100% of couples who don't get divorced spend at least one day entirely naked once a year for the 1st 5 years of marriage."

I was extremely disappointed when the article didn't contain any dramatic revelations. It's actually kinda boring and I tuned out and quit reading it about half way through. But I really liked the first few paragraphs. HERE'S WHY:


Outside of the BYU-Idaho track system, I strongly believe that chick flicks and Disney are the major factors preventing us (single people) from dating more and experiencing satisfying relationships.




Here's what I've learned about real life, IT BITES. Either we live in a monotonous routine because we are afraid to leave our comfort zone and break habits, or we take our chances and end up experiencing 1000 times as much failure as we do success. I've found that what makes me happy is taking those chances, hoping to succeed, but knowing that I'll be just fine if I fail.

My experience has been that failure makes for a better story than success as long as you can laugh about it afterward. Too often I think people will hold on to the pain of failure because they feel like it is an excuse to fall back into the same routine, where they feel safe and secure (and more often than not, bored out of their mind)


The stories I like to hear usually have a surprise, like someone trying to get intimate and then getting a bloody nose. Or the guy/girl who you thought was perfect giving you a peck on the cheek, then immediately howling at the moon, causing you to give them an abrupt slap that leaves a hand print on his/her face for 3 days.


To me, that is so much more entertaining than sappy fantasy where you're walking through a field of roses where there happens to be a string quartet playing every note perfectly as you gaze into each others eyes and fireworks go off . . . zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


The truth is that for most people, their first kiss
was not their best kiss, most dates are kinda awkward, and most relationships you enter into cause you to question your own judgement. SO WHAT?

As I see it, you have two options:

1: Quit worrying about personal hygiene so people know you have been abused and live the rest of your life in bitterness swearing to never care about anyone ever again.
2: Take a day or two to whine and complain and cry if you need to, and then move on, quickly. And do it for your own happiness, not to spite the person who wronged you.

You are better off learning to laugh at yourself, so that you don't feel as stupid when everyone who else hears about it laughs also.


Agree? Disagree?

9 comments:

Quinn the Eskimo said...

To see the article I mentioned, click on the title of my post and it will take you there. I know, I know, I'm sooooo technologically saavy.

Amy said...

SLAYER!
Hahaha.

I agree with you, QPFM.

Awkwardness definitely dominates most male/female interaction.
And thank goodness for that or else dates would be boring and repetitive.
Bad dates=good stories almost always.

Thome said...

WHOOOOO! 2009 IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!

ZacharyPaul said...

This was well stated. You gave me chills. Seriously.

ZacharyPaul said...

This was my favorite part. I loved all though.

"The truth is that for most people, their first kiss was not their best kiss, most dates are kinda awkward, and most relationships you enter into cause you to question your own judgement. SO WHAT? "

Myke said...

This reminds me of Garth Brooks' classic "Standing Outside the Fire". It'd be worth your time to google the lyrics for that song. Or just listen to it.

I've done the monotonous routine before. Honestly, I'd rather have my heart stepped on. Like you said, it makes for a better story. Not only that, but you have the satisfaction of saying that you gave it a try and did your best.

And I like the paragraph that Zachary Paul quoted as well. And even though there is a severe amount of awkwardness in any relationship, love still happens. Furthermore, it's only as awkward as you make. In my experience, confidence is 85% of the battle.

Quinn the Eskimo said...

Zach: Thanks, like really.
Myke: Ha I don't know if there are many songs performed by Garth (at least during the 90's) that I don't know by heart.
I actually have "Standing Outside The Fire" in my iTunes library. I wasn't listening to it while I wrote this post, but maybe it was my subconscious inspiration.
Also I agree with you on the confidence factor. I think a lot of times girls will initially reject a guy a little bit just to test him. They think it's cute when a guy can stay optimistic and persistent without being desperate.
Guys are usually more shallow and often decide a lot sooner whether or not they could like a girl based mostly on physical attraction. (In our defense, a sense of humor, intelligence, the way someone treats others, how easy a person is to talk to, and the amount of attention someone pays to us can make women more attractive, it's not based entirely on looks)
While a girl's confidence does increase her attractiveness, I don't think it's as important of a factor for us as it is for them.

Noemi said...

quinn!
i loved this 100%
bring it on 2009!
brandy alexander from invisible monsters says, "do the things that scare you the most"

Vickie said...

QPM
Needless to say, this was brilliant. I love talking to you and reading your thoughts! I went on my date last night and I was just going with the flow just like you said and it was great. He's not into me, I know that, and i'm alright with that but it was still a great first date beacuse of some of things we talked about the other day when I stayed up till 5am!