Friday, September 4, 2009

Sometimes Life is Just Really Cool

Things I like about real life (being around live people)
Last weekend was straight up fresh. For the first time in my life, I saw my beloved Green Bay Packers in person. I was as happy as school girl to see the starters (minus stud receiver Greg Jennings who was knocked out on the first play) flat out dominate the defending NFC champion Cardinals.
Don't get me wrong, I like the Cards, I mean, come on, their stadium is named after the place I work, but I can't betray my roots. I won't go on because I know not everyone reading this is into sports. (For those who are curious, I actually created a sepa
rate blog just so I could share my thoughts on the whole Brett Favre fiasco)
I finally got to see and hear Fun. Oh yeah, Sam Means was there just hanging out, and oh yeah, I went and talked to him and I'm pretty sure he liked my moustache.
Hmmm, so I'm usually a better writer than this, I'm becoming a little disenchanted with blogging, and Facebook. Don't get me wrong, I still like the idea of blogging, I just don't feel like I have as much time for it.

Things I don't like about fake life (Faceabook)
1- It used to be fun, and funny. Remember "Big Foot: Fact" and "Remind Dan McCartney that he is gay."? Remember taking over Brittany Mayhugh's notes until she got pissed and deleted them? Outside of groups and messages created by Ford Erickson, Facebook doesn't make me laugh much any more.
2- Wall posts were better than the comment threads they have now, 'nuff said. (I said it like that because it sounds tougher than "enough said.")
3- Status updates have gotten boring. Remember when they used to be funny or announce exciting events? I think about half the phrases on my home page on any given day will say something along the lines of "is home from the gym" or "just put the kids to sleep." Nobody cares.
4- Too many bells and whistles, I really miss the simplicity of the old days when wall posts used to count.
5- Old people who leave comments similar to this, "Traci, I bought some of your favorite apple cider -Mom." Ok mom, I think everyone knows that you were talking to Traci because your comment IS ON HER WALL, and you don't have to sign your comment because YOUR NAME APPEARS RIGHT ABOVE IT.
I'm not trying to sound anal or spread hate. The truth about facebook is that it has helped me to get girlfriends, so I can't truly despise it. For some reason girls respond better to electronic communication before the actual phone call.
This post wasn't even originally supposed to be about Facebook, but the real point is that I prefer face-to-face interaction, and if Facebook can help me get there, then I guess I'll use it. But if I had to choose between Facebook and day old soggy nachos . . . well, it would depend on how hungry I was.
Winner: Real Life

5 comments:

Myke said...

Quinn, I like your blogs, I hope keep making time for them.

I blame Twitter for the banality of the new Facebook. (Not that Twitter is all bad... I did enjoy the half an hour I spent the other day readin Neil Diamond's tweets.)

That's tight you got to go the Packers/Cards game. If you're in AZ around Christmas time we should hit up a Suns game.

Leah said...

I vote yes for continued Quinn blogging. I also vote yes for real life being better, however, sometimes I must settle for blogger and the book.

Joe said...

And I vote yes for Quinn taking a shower. Man you stink.*







*Disclaimer: Quinn doesn't really stink. Not that I know of anyway.

wayne bass said...

Dude, that is rad you saw the Packers play the Cardinals. How much are tickets to a game like that in lets say somewhere between the cheap seats and the 50 yard line tickets?

Where can I read about your feelings about Bret Farve? I looked in older post.

PS. Stealer Stash man don't let anyone tell you any different

Ashley Jane said...

This made me nostalgic. I miss Summer 07. Real life AND fake life were so so fun!

I like your point about wall comments vs. comment threads. They literally did COUNT! They were numbered. Then you could tally just how much cooler you were than your peers. Oh, you didn't do that? Well just me then.

If you ever come onto Facebook anymore and need (comic) relief- visit my page! I try to keep it real (fakely, since it's fake life), and be funny/ridiculous and I'm always desperate for comments to my statuses. Steve Hanameekee still plays along with me and you're invited too.
If we could hang out in real life I totes would. But not if real life always had to do with football because yuck.