I miss going to live shows. Last night I went to this little cafe (the "e" should have a little accent over it, but whatever, I'm too lazy to take the 3 minutes it would require to figure out how to do that) and watched the most amazing live performance I've seen in a long time. While basking in the raw energy perpetuated from both the band and the crowd, I came to a few realizations:
1) I really like the feel of Main Street in Mesa. They had this really cool looking bookstore. I don't mean cool like Barnes & Noble new and hip type cool. I mean cool looking like the type of place you'd see in a movie
2) I haven't seen anyone rock as hard as Myke Olsen since my last To Russia concert. Seriously, I loved everything about the performance, and I can't believe how great they sounded live.
3) I wish I had friends here . . . correction, friend, acquaintance, anyone, who would enjoy going to this type of thing with me. I really like the friends I've made here, but there isn't a single one who would've taken me up on an invite to watch this performance. Going alone wasn't bad, but I kinda got the vibe that everyone in the crowd knew everyone else who was there, and I felt like a little bit of an outsider.
4) I haven't seen a show in way too long. I'm not a go to a musical performance every week kinda guy, but I'm definitely a go once a month type of guy. The problem is that nothing has come through since I've moved here. Ok, there's been Keith Urban and the Jonas Brothers and junk like that, and yeah Ben Kweller went to Tucson on a week night, but not a whole lot else.
I really think Nate Ruess hates me. I'm not even going to get into the Format show in Pocatello in December of 2006, (but I will strongly discourage anyone from ever considering playing in Guitars Unplugged) this is all about playing here with Manchester Orchestra the day of my brother's graduation.
Or playing like 17 tour dates in California with FREAKIN LIMBECK but not having the courtesy to make one stop in your home state. Well you know what? I'm over it. I made a road trip to Vegas a few weeks ago and it was the first time in at least two years that I drove more than 3 hours without listening to a single song from Dog Problems. Take that.
5) Let's go back to there not being any shows here. Seriously, they're doing a whole series of free concerts in Salt Lake City and I'm stuck with "SALIVA live at Tempe Marketplace."
. . . There's more, but if you're attention span is as short as mine, you probably quit reading around #2. So I'll end this post with the frustrating "to be continued . . ." phrase
6 comments:
Dude, Quinn, I thought I saw you in the crowd when xyzebra was playing... I tried to find you after but I was unable to locate you. Sorry man, I should've checked with you if you were coming, we totally could've hung during the other bands and I could've introduced you to some other people there.
There are shows in AZ, I think you just have to be a bit more proactive about it. The 'hipster' scene isn't as prevalent in Phoenix (which makes it less pretentious) as it is in other places like SLC so when you're a transplant such as yourself you have to really know someone who knows what's going on. I can introduce you to my brother and my friend Afton; they both love going to shows and have a similar taste in music to yours. Also, they're two of the most dependable people I know so they definitely won't ever bail on you.
While I admit certain tours pass over the Phoenix area in favor of California, there are still plenty of bands that do make their way through the area, i.e., Bon Iver and The Killers on the 28th and 29th of September, respectively. Afton (she was there when she went to Star Trek and Toby's) may have an extra ticket for the Killers show -- I'll have her text you; my brother is most likely gonna hit up the Bon Iver show -- I'll have him text or call you if he gets tickets (it's at the Mesa Arts Center -- a stone's throw from Sweet Cakes on Main Street Mesa). Also, the Get Up Kids are playing at the end of this month at the Clubhouse (kind of a crusty place, but what can you do?).
The AZ local music scene has gotten a little polluted/stale as of late, but there are still some great local bands. Two of my former band mates have new bands, The Great Migration (seriously so good; Whit is an amazing song writer) and The Burn Riders. I believe both bands are playing at the Modified (probably the best venue in town) in Phoenix on August 20th with Shark Speed. Check these bands' myspace pages to be sure. If you're interested I'll have my brother contact you.
If you're interested in some classic emo, the Sunny Day Real Estate reunion tour will be in Tempe on October 9th at Marquee Theater. I'll be flying down for that.
Anyway, that's Myke Olsen's guide to music for the Greater Phoenix Metropolitan Area (stay tuned for Part II: Record Stores). Text or call me if you want me to have my brother and/or Afton contact you about those shows or others.
Quinn, I totally would have been your concert buddy for Myke's show but alas, I was out of town.
Anyway, it is basically necessary that you go to Bon Iver. If Matt doesn't go, you should go with my sister and her husband. Lame? I think not. Scott goes to quite a few shows often sans my sister and instead with buddies he works with at Fender. So again, if you need people to go with and end up hating Myke's friends/ family (jp jp Myke), I've got you covered.
Wow 5:14am? I did wake up at 5:30am, but really it's only 7am. Just thought you should know.
Quinn,
1- You are a mother
2- You got let out
3- woof woof.
Seriously man, your posts are so obtuse and obedient. I guess i never realized that your attention to abstract was so amazing.
We miss you in Sexburg but it sounds like there is actually things to do outside of rhamballial and giggling. Later....this was a post by TYSON
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/teeg420/4_popped-collars_cool.jpg
JUST THOUGHT WE WOULD ARADICATE ANONYMOUS ANNOYANCES. FROM BRAD H. AND TY D.
SeRIOUSLY THE LINK IS 2 LEGIT.
and this is why you should move to salt lake..... or provo (even better) c'mon I miss my brother. we could have some good times in utard.
Post a Comment