Friday, November 28, 2008

Idaho Falls Idol

The most hopeless state of pure boredom may very well be the BYU-Idaho 7 week break. A period of no classes between Spring and Fall Semesters where most students go home and try to land some type of temporary job. The students who are left in the ghost town have to get creative in order to avoid having their brain turn to mush.

It was on such a night that Wayne, Thome, Tyler and I discovered karaoke night at the PepperTree Lounge. Countless memories have followed in the smoky bar as we hang out with middle-aged (Wayne's label for people in their mid-30's) Idahoans looking for a good time.

My personal favorite involved a "piss drunk" (in his own words) gentlemen who I met in the men's room who considered it normal to converse with me as we both did our business in separate urinals. To everyone's surprise, this drunkard spontaneously joined on stage to form a duet in the middle of my rendition of 1980's rock ballad originally performed by Journey.

Another great night was when the hottest girl in the whole bar (which isn't saying much) openly expressed her interest in our own Wayne Bass (boomer sooner!) while she was on a date with some other dude. With the skills this guy's got, who can blame her?



Our most recent trip to the PepperTree was possibly the most memorable, as it was Wayne's last day in Rexburg (until next year) and Myke's first appearance. While none of us drank anything in the bar besides a shared pitcher of Coke, we decided it was not the best idea to attach the BYU-Idaho label to us in a bar. So Wayne decided that if anyone asked where we were from and what we were doing in Idaho, we'd respond that we played for the Chukars. (Eastern Idaho's best and only minor league baseball team) We came up with positions and everything.

We had our chance when a middle-aged (by real standards, not just Wayne's) woman who was sober enough to understand the humor of our presence and our performance came and started chatting with us. The scary thing for me was how easily I was able to come up with impromptu lies and deliver them convincingly when she threw us questions we weren't ready for.

Has dishonesty become a skill for me? I prefer to think of it as good acting. I think I was blessed with a skill that I've never tried to develop. If you don't believe me, ask Sac about the awkward encounter at Subway last March. The girl involved in it said she started feeling bad about the whole thing when it wasn't even real. I've never taken an acting class, maybe I should pursue this a little more. I wonder if Carl Weathers is available to coach me?

On a side note, here are more videos from our magical night of music:




3 comments:

Myke said...

To be honest Quinn, I don't think you need any coaching from Carl Weathers, you did so well that night. We need to go back soon ... but not soon enough where that lady would be able to ID us.

As Mr. Weathers would say, "You got yourself a stew, baby!"

Thome said...

You left out the part when the middle aged woman touched my butt and took a picture with me. good times. also everytime you lie like that I just want to put a banger in your mouth to shut you up.

Leah said...

Wow. I cannot wait until us girls are old enough...if you'll still let us go and all. You guys might not have as much luck with the ladies if we're there.